Is your run feeling a bit stagnant? Add these top 100 songs to your running playlist and reinvigorate your routine!
Sometimes, the best running shoes alone won’t cut it if you’re trying to get the most out of your run. Your feet could be blanketed in the most cloud-like comfort, sheathed in a super cozy, sock-like fit, but without the best running songs to get you amped and out the door, it might not even matter.
What difference does it make how comfortable you could be on mile 10 or mile 20 if you don’t have good running songs that fuel you there? Even if you can log a ton of miles without a stellar running playlist, your mind might become so bored that the experience is hardly enjoyable.
Don’t get us wrong—there’s plenty to be said about running quietly. The reduced risk of injury, the therapeutic sensation of hearing nothing but wind at your back…
As romantic as that is, silence just won’t cut it for some runners. Plenty of athletes can admit to being ready to quit in those ill-timed moments when the music cuts out and their running playlist shuts off. Dead headphones, drained batteries, and lost reception are complete nightmares to some.
We adrenaline junkies love to hear the best running songs that propel each foot forward. We crave that heart-pumping bass blasting from our running playlist as we pound the pavement and push the tempo. That massive influx of motivation is one of the top reasons why we love music.
Metal heads and classic rockers, rap fans and electronic enthusiasts: come one, come all! We’ve divvied up the top 100 running songs by genre to ensure everyone can find something they like, no matter their taste in musical flavor.
From timeless hits to the latest bangers, scope our list of the top 100 running songs the next time your musical library feels a bit lackluster or your out-of-date playlist just isn’t cutting it. These jams won’t disappoint!
Favor a specific genre? Jump to it using the links below:
Note: Our list of the best running songs is not ranked in order by any means. That would be subjective, and we’re certainly not here to step on any musical toes.
For your easy listening (and sweating) pleasure, let’s begin our list of the best running songs with some good ol’ classic rock featuring all your favorites like Led Zepplin, Bon Jovi, and Journey.
If we we’re setting the stage for these running playlists (see what we did there), we’d envision these songs accompanying you on a long and steady ride. Maybe you’re on the trail or maybe you’re going around the block during that golden hour just before dusk.
FitBit Flyer Wireless Fitness Headphones
VIP All Your Benefits Apply
You need jams to warm you up, to help you appreciate the beautiful, strolling scenery, to push you when the going gets a bit tough, and to celebrate with you as you cross the final leg of your marathon.
No matter the setting, add these to your running playlist if you want to rock out to some timeless tunes that are sure to get you moving.
- “Born to Run“—Bruce Springsteen
- “Summer of ‘69”—Bryan Adams
- “I Can See for Miles”—Styx
- “Sweet Emotion”—Aerosmith
- “Carry on Wayward Son”—Kansas
- “Hungry like the Wolf”—Duran Duran
- “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)“—The Proclaimers
- “Long Train Runnin’”—The Doobie Brothers
- “Burnin’ for You”—Blue Öyster Cult
- “Tush”—ZZ Top
- “Ramble On”—Led Zepplin
- “Rock You like a Hurricane”—Scorpions
- “Peace of Mind”—Boston
- “Heartbreaker”—Pat Benatar
- “Hot Blooded”—Foreigner
- “Baba O’Riley“—The Who
- “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction“—The Rolling Stones
- “Running on Empty”—Jackson Browne
- “Livin’ on a Prayer”—Bon Jovi
- “Under Pressure“—Queen & David Bowie
- “Don’t Stop Believing”—Journey
- “Dream On“—Aerosmith
- “Eye of the Tiger”—Survivor
Rock a bit Harder
Running is a release. When life has you majorly stressed out, it seems there’s no better cure than slapping on your running shoes, plugging in your running playlist, and jamming out the door until your feet can no longer carry you.
We get it—we’ve all been there. If you need to let off some steam, clear your mind, and cleanse yourself in some sweat, this is the best running playlist to tap into those emotions. It’s as though Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria is belting his angsty lines directly at you.
JLab Audio Fit Sport Wireless Earbuds
VIP All Your Benefits Apply
Turn up the dial on the amplifier with this chunk of the top 100 running songs that’s filled with a wild assortment of punk rock, metal and more. Let the distorted grunge and epic guitar solos distract you from whatever it is that’s bogging you down.
Bouncing off the walls? This is the best running playlist to get you bouncing off the pavement.
- “Sabotage“—Beastie Boys
- “Youth of the Nation”—P.O.D.
- “Animal I have Become”—Three Days Grace
- “The Kid’s aren’t Right”—The Offspring
- “Bouncing off the Walls”—Sugarcult
- “Still Waiting”—Sum 41
- “The Running Free”—Coheed and Cambria
- “I Believe in a Thing Called Love”—The Darkness
- “When Your Heart Stops Beating”—+44
- “The Pot”—Tool
- “96 Quite Bitter Beings”—CkY
- “Cage the Beast”—Adelitas Way
- “Search and Destroy”—Iggy Pop and the Stooges
- “The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner”—Iron Maiden
- “Kickstart My Heart”—Mötley Crüe
- “Hail to the King”—Avenged Sevenfold
- “Addicted to Pain”—Alter Bridge
- “Thunder Kiss ‘65”—White Zombie
- “Bodies”—Drowning Pool
- “Chop Suey!”—System of a Down
- “Testify”—Rage Against the Machine
- “I’m Shipping Up To Boston”—Dropkick Murphys
Hip Hop Pick Me Ups
Whether you’re at the gym or on the track, throwing on some of the hardest hip hop will make your moves more explosive. From idols like Eminem to the faces of the new rap generation, we’ve thrown together a running playlist featuring the best names in the game.
These are good running songs for when you want to boost your performance, master the proper running form, and train at your fullest capacity. As the flow builds, your confidence gets bigger and bigger! May each of your strides hit as hard as Kendrick’s every word.
- “Work REMIX”—A$AP Ferg
- “Fight Night”—Migos
- “Versace REMIX”—Migos and Drake
- “Chun-Li”—Nicki Minaj
- “OG Bobby Johnson REMIX feat. A$AP Ferg, Pusha T & Snoop”—QUE.
- “HUMBLE”—Kendrick Lamar
- “Lift Me Up”—Vince Staples
- “Red Nation”—The Game and Lil Wayne
- “Lose Yourself“—Eminem
- “Break Ya Neck”—Busta Rhymes
- “X Gon’ Give it to Ya”—DMX
- “Fight Music”—D12
- “Close Your Eyes”—Run the Jewels
- “Push It”—Rick Ross
- “Jumpman”—Future and Drake
- “Truffle Butter”—Nicki Minaj, Drake and Lil Wayne
- “A Milli”—Lil Wayne
- “I’m Goin In”—Drake, Lil Wayne, and Jeezy
- “Stronger“—Kanye West
- “Pump It“—Black Eyed Peas
- “Can’t Hold Us“—Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
- “All I do is Win”—DJ Khaled
Electronic Dance Run Music
When the BPM (beats per minute) truly take off, it’s like our feet don’t even have a choice but to follow. These electronic songs are destined to make you want to move; the beats are so catchy, it’s impossible to resist.
Ladies decked out in their running shoes might be tempted to pause for a quick dance killer jams—and we don’t blame you. Huge house names like Diplo and Tiesto didn’t become worldwide sensations for nothing.
This is the best running playlist for when you’re running for weight loss or pushing the tempo. Trust us, with these high-energy beats, it’ll be no trouble at all.
- “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger”—Daft Punk
- “Who Gon Stop Me”—Jay Z and Kanye West
- “Turn Down for What?”—DJ Snake and Lil Jon
- “Purple Lamborghini feat. Rick Ross)—Skrillex
- “212“—Azaelia Banks
- “Work B***h”—Britney Spears
- “Five Hours”—Deorro
- “Get Low”—Dillon Francis and DJ Snake
- “Lean On feat. MØ and DJ Snake”—Major Lazer
- “Animals”—Martin Garrix
- “Boy Oh Boy”—GTA and Diplo
- “No Money”—Galantis
- “Love on Me”—Galantis and Hook N Sling
- “Take Ü There”—Skrillex, Diplo, and Kiesza
- “Wake Me Up”—Avicii
- “Strangers feat. Tove Lo”—Seven Lions and Myon & Shane 54
- “Don’t Let Me Down”—The Chainsmokers
- “Titanium feat. Sia”—David Guetta
- “Outside”—Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding
- “Anything Can Happen“—Ellie Goulding
- “Heroes (we could be)”—Alesso and Tove Lo
There you have it—the top 100 running songs guaranteed to inspire you when you need that extra push. Add them to your running playlist and let that pumping beat fuel your fire the next time you pound the pavement!